Friday, March 02, 2007

Via Crucis Introduction

Journey with me to Calvary. Walk the Way of the Cross, and meditate upon the countless mysteries contained in Christ's sacrificial action.

In 1878 the composer Franz Liszt did just that; using his talent he set his meditations to organ and choir. The result is a beautiful piece of music, which I endeavour to present to you in its true context, using simple artistic representations as well as images from the Mel Gibson film The Passion. I originally compiled this in Microsoft Powerpoint, and have managed to convert it into Flash format (so you'll need a compatible browser to view it). This is only an abridged version due to the difficulty in porting over the complicated text animation in my original version, which displayed the Latin and German text when it was being sung, together with a translation.

I am starting with the first 4 slides, up to Station III. Over lent I will post 3 stations at a time, as a continuation of the Via Crucis, each Friday (leading up to Friday in Passiontide, or the last Friday before Holy Week). I will update you as and when this happens. Enjoy!

Enter >>

3 comments:

  1. Matt you are so clever! I'm sure the meditations will be helpful.I will have a look later...

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful presentation of the Stations that exercises our senses of sight and sound. Your combination of the creativity of the music of Liszt with imagery from "The Passion" is prayerful and dramatic. Thank you for this Lenten gift. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is what I call using clever blogging skills for the benefit of others!

    Your whole blog is excellent!

    ReplyDelete