Friday, April 14, 2006

Vexilla regis prodeunt

O Jesus Christ, my Lord, with what great love didst Thou pass over the painful road which led Thee to death; and I, how often have I abandoned Thee! But now I love Thee with my whole soul, and because I love Thee, I am sincerely sorry for having offended Thee.

My Jesus, pardon me, and permit me to accompany Thee on this journey. Thou art going to die for love of me, and it is my wish also, O my dearest Redeemer, to die for love of Thee. O yes, my Jesus, in Thy love I wish to die.

Vexilla regis prodeunt:

The standards of the king appear:

Fulget crucis mysterium,

The mystery of the cross shines out

Qua vita mortem pertulit,

on which life suffered death,

Et morte vitam protulit.

And which brought back life from death.

Impleta sunt quae concinit David fideli carmine,

Fulfilled is what David sang in his true prophecy,

Dicendo nationibus:

in which he told the nations:

Regnavit a ligno Deus. Amen.

“God has reigned from the tree.” Amen.

O crux, ave, spes unica

O Cross, hail, our only hope

Hoc passionis tempore,

at this time of your Passion,

Piis adauge gratiam,

increase the grace [you bestow] upon the faithful

Reisque dele crimina. Amen.

and pardon the sins of the guilty. Amen.