Monday, November 06, 2006

A response to Dr. Trevor Stammers


Further to my discussion on the Guild of Catholic Doctors (GCD) -vs- Christian Medical Fellowship (CMF); the Guild's quarterly, in their latest November 2006 issue, have published my response to Trevor Stammers. Dr. Trevor Stammers FRCGP is Chair-elect of the CMF and has written several articles for their magazines, Triple Helix and Nucleus. He wrote into the Guild's quartely after my initial letter, complaining that I was creating "unnecessary divisions between the Guild and the Fellowship" and that "being a member of the Guild does certainly not preclude membership of the CMF as far as the fellowship is concerned."

I needn't say any more but reproduce the letter I wrote:
Sir,
In response to Dr. Trevor Stammers[1], chair-elect of the Christian Medical Fellowship (CMF), I thought it would be a good idea to clarify some of the original points from my letter published in the May edition of CMQ, and the reasons I had for leaving the CMF. In so doing I cannot represent the whole Guild, being only a new member myself, but hopefully will come some way to represent a traditional Catholic viewpoint.
Dr. Stammers must be commended for the articles he has written for the CMF, many of which promote the message of abstinence rather than condoms for sexual health promotion. My letter in May’s edition of CMQ was primarily concerned with a desire to preserve Catholic orthodoxy within the Guild. I was using the topic of “Can Condoms Kill?” to illustrate the fact that this is an area where Catholic Orthodoxy is being constantly challenged, indeed so by the author of the letter I was addressing, who has left the Guild partly based on a failure to encourage debate around this issue. I apologise for not giving more credit to the CMF journal, Triple Helix, but wanted to express my gratitude for unwavering Catholic content contained within the CMQ.
I mentioned the CMF in passing, since I have recently resigned from the organisation as a matter of conscience. I appreciate the fact Dr. Stammers wants to promote the organisation to Catholic doctors; that is a noble intention. To this end, perhaps he could use his position within the CMF to address some of the following points (which I have already done at length in writing).
I am pleased that there is such “good relations” between the fellowship and the guild. The quest of ecumenism and religious dialogue can achieve fruits, noticeably in the recent “Care Not Killing” alliance for the opposition of euthanasia. However, this sort of cooperation and dialogue between faith groups doesn’t mean we should necessarily be members of the same organisations and believe the same things. We should of course maintain our respective identities. Most likely the CMF recognises this as a priority, which is why a signed declaration is required before joining: “I am in sympathy with the Aims of the Christian Medical Fellowship. I declare my faith in God the Father and in God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, Who is my Saviour, and in God the Holy Spirit. I accept the Bible as the supreme authority in matters of faith and conduct”. In opposition to the Nicene Creed[2], this declaration adds a new clause to ancient Christian belief: to accept the Bible as the supreme authority. It thus associates itself with Protestantism.
As a Catholic, I am proud to hold the Church as the “pillar and ground of the truth"[3], and humbly submit to her magisterial teachings. To insert a clause like the one above into a membership agreement, actually serves to alienate Catholic Doctors, even if many do not realise it. This is because the principle of Sola Scriptura, which is at work here, is rooted in reformation theology which is in direct opposition to traditional Catholic Christianity.[4]
If any Catholic doctors associated with the CMF are in any doubt as to the stance of this fellowship towards Catholicism, simply read the article entitled “Biblical Authority and Catholic Tradition” available on their website[5] written by Peter Saunders, their general secretary. This displays blatant anti-Catholic sentiment at its most clichéd, and is what can be expected from a christian organisation of an ‘evangelical’ persuasion.
Signed
5th Year Medical Student
Midlands Branch

References
1) CMQ August 2006; Vol LVI; No.3
2) Which is incidentally completely dispensed by CMF in favour of a lengthy “CMFs Christian Beliefs” see http://www.cmf.org.uk/fellowship/about.htm
3) St. Paul; 1 Timothy 3:15
4) condemned by the Council of Trent
5) 1st June 1997 Click here for link

No comments:

Post a Comment