Wednesday, August 08, 2007

First Week on the Job


Many people out there will be thinking, "thank goodness he now has a job; he'll be less busy wasting time on the blog, spending a student loan, and will finally be supporting his family!"

To which I would heartily agree! But what a shame that a whole week has gone by without updating the blog on how this momentous time has gone. No time like the present, I guess:

Perhaps I am unfortunate in that I have had almost the busiest schedule possible as a first week FY1 (foundation year 1) junior doctor. While everyone else were getting used to the day-to-day running of their ward, with their duties and responsibilities; I was launched into the deep end with a weekend of nights on-call. I really shouldn't complain, since the hours used to be much more antisocial. But even now that they are EWTD (European Working Time Directives) compliant, working 66 hours over the last 7 days has been a bit of a shock to the system. 12-hour shifts are a strange species, especially when embarked upon overnight.

The good news is that I have thoroughly enjoyed the work. Seeing patients, being given responsibility, and realising I know slightly more than I thought, have all been a welcome change to the days of medical school. But by far the best thing about working life, as many fathers will testify to, is getting home and seeing the happy smiles on my family's faces! My little one beams and shrieks with delight when I pull up onto the drive, in an almost ecstatic outpouring of love! I never realised being a Dad would be quite so overwhelming!

So now, after only a week, I appreciate three things much more:
  • 1) My family
  • 2) Normal 8 hour working days
  • 3) Sleep
Although I have always been good at appreciating that last one. Maybe I should also appreciate the European Union more, for passing laws that makes it illegal for my employer to work me any harder than they currently do...

And of course I should also appreciate the Lord God Almighty, who has made my success possible by all the gifts he has bestowed upon me. I will certainly need continual divine help to meet and conquer the many challenges that being a doctor entails... Hopefully I will be able to write more at length about these in due course.

6 comments:

  1. nights on-call!!!! eeeek! That does sound a bit tough for a first week!
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

    Can't say I'm looking forward to it next year!

    :-)

    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was getting Doyle withdrawal symptoms - phew you're blogging again!! Sounds busy - cool stethoscope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Matt! Jenny's sitting in the garden cramming a big book on pharmacology!
    But family is no 1 for sure (after God!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Not a good way to start. Still, best to get it out of the way. DON'T be afraid to ask seniors or middle-graders about stuff. Nobody minds and it makes us feel useful. And YOU learn stuff.

    Good luck with it all, Matt, but family comes first - always. You'll never have the time with Maddy again: you can't get a locum daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true dude, when you get to my age the bitterest regrets are things you should have done with family...

    anyway, you're still sunshine, lollipops and rainbows - how long till you become a curmudgeonly greg house type? wink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds to me, though it was tiring, that you've had a good time - kind of. Take care, work hard, and enjoy things. :)

    ReplyDelete