Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Meme - Five Top Catholic Places

I don't know what meme means, but I do understand enough about blogging to know I've been requested by Joee Blogs to share my own favourite Catholic places.

1) Birmingham Oratory
I have been regularly attending this magnificent church for about 2 years now, and I can't imagine going anywhere else! Not only is it the most beautiful church in Birmingham (nay, the world) but my family has received an immense wealth of love and support from everyone there; the parishioners, always keen to meet and greet us; the Fathers - who go out of their way to provide pastoral support, spiritual direction, frequent confessions (before every mass), even tridentine masses! There always seems to be so many people making such an effort to support the church, its fantastic reverent liturgy, the interior furnishings, the music etc. and without receiving glory for themselves. So this was an easy first choice. My experiences of the Faith through attending the Oratory provide me with a lot to reflect upon (and blog about!) each week.

2) My Home
Arguably the most important 'Catholic Place' for any family is their own home. We do our best to sanctify our lives based on our calling from God; I like to think that through our nurturing home environment, we are hospitable to others and provide a good place to raise our children. Wendy is to thank for most of this - she is an excellent host and loves to have people to stay. It is not the building itself which is important (we rent our property, and its a bit rough around the edges!) but the way we use the space. We adorn our living room with plenty of books, religious pictures, statues, paintings and photographs. This all helps to remind us to thank and serve God in everything we do. There is also a television and DVD player, which we love to watch movies on. This is an area which are trying our best to sanctify, so our items of furniture no longer all point towards the television, and we are not renewing our TV license after September which will mean we won't be at the mercy of the usual broadcast rubbish. "An Englishman's home is his Castle"

3) Walsingham
The first time I visited Walsingham was shortly after my marriage in May 2004. It was really the start of a major conversion in me towards the Catholic Faith (after a number of years in gnosticism). Wendy and I love to visit my cousin Janie, who runs a Bed & Breakfast a short drive from the shrine, and always provides us with hospitality and spiritual sustenance. It is a home away from home. In one of her spare rooms downstairs, she has a statue of Our Lady which was obtained from an old convent, which is adorned by numerous rosaries from previous pilgrims staying in the house. I had the privilege last weekend to make a fresh crown for Our Lady with wild flowers (all with a special significance) and to crown the statue myself. This was a special May devotion for us, having missed this ceremony at the Oratory this year!

4) St Chad's Cathedral
This Cathedral has had a turbulent past in recent years, but is now enjoying a period of restoration under the excellent guidance of Fr. Brian Doolan, the Cathedral Dean. I have written enough about the architecture, so will simply say this is the Mother Church of our Archdiocese and has a special place in my heart. It was here where my wife was present at the Rite of Election in 2005, to be greeted by the Archbishop for final formation before being received into the Holy Catholic Church. I took a special part in this process, because I myself was preparing my own personal commitment, and relit my baptismal candle at the Easter Vigil that year. When I have had the opportunity since to wander into the Cathedral, it has always been a special place of prayer where I could make fresh petition to Our Lord and Our Lady for my intentions. It is open from 8am till 5pm weekdays, which is useful for people working in the City Centre, maybe even to attend Mass at 7.30am or 12.15pm.

5) Rome
The obvious choice! I last went in the summer of 1999 (notice all the scaffolding on the front of St. Peter's Basilica in my photo), and am desperate to take Wendy and Maddy to this wonderful city. I cannot say much else, except that there is always a magnificent church nearby, wherever you are, and the city feels distinctly like home for any Catholic.



Hat tip to Fr. Dwight Longenecker for starting this intriguing "meme"! I won't "tag" anyone else because everyone who reads me, reads Joe Bloggs, so will be suitably inspired (or not) to do this. God bless!

3 comments:

  1. Matt, you give me too much credit -your blog is far better than mine! I hope you don't mind I've reprinted a chunk of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The free flow of information has revealed my mum was born at Dudley Rd Hospital in Jan 1941, then whisked off to be baptised at the Oratory Church....hence my clicking on your link, and finding myself absorbed and curious, much like Alice in Wonderland!
    I am looking forward to visiting such an exquisite place as I plan my husbands long service leave - now that we have an empty nest, and before the grandkids start to arrive.....Love and Light, from the Land of Oz.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Julie! Its good to know there's some interest from Oz. You'd be very welcome, of course! Click on the Oratory Tab at the top of the page to see more from our church life. Dudley Rd Hospital is now called City Hospital. There is a lovely church opposite called St Patrick's I think. I happen to work in the trust.

    ReplyDelete