Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Dedication of the Oratory

Last night we went to the Oratory expecting a simple low Mass at 1745 like every other day. Not paying attention to the bulletin, it turned out we were treated to the solemnity of the dedication of the church, in common with the rest of the diocese (the actual anniversary is in mid-June). It was a Sung Latin Mass, with a small schola of two parishioners (both members of the choir) singing wonderful gregorian chant audible right from the back of church! Fr Paul Chavasse was celebrant with a small team of MC, thurifer and acolytes. One of our parishioners currently in the seminary read the first reading, from the book of Kings, to call to mind Solomon's feelings of inadequacy towards the temple he had built.

Fr Paul reflected on the fact we are very blessed with this House of Prayer, our posterity and history deeply embedded within it. Also in the way we have fostered and preserved the beauty of music and liturgy, so that we may make fitting worship and reverence before God. Most importantly he reminded us that we are the building blocks of the church, and that even with the most beautiful building and decoration, it can all become stale without individuals who are dedicated and committed to the Faith. My family do not live in the Parish; I wonder if I have thought enough about this odd position. Many people would exhort me to support my local parish and contribute my talents there (especially when compared with a grand church like the Oratory).

My family is young and still in its infancy. I have never ceased thinking of myself as a little child; requiring guidance, instruction, formation, nourishment and opportunities to live my Faith in practical ways. I want to avoid polemics, so will simply concentrate on those aspects which make the Oratory an essential place to nurture these things.
  • The Fathers They always spring to my mind when I speak with fondness about the Oratory. Outsiders will often remark that the Oratory is 'distant' and 'impersonal' (probably due to the size of the building and the solemnity of the liturgy). To this I will always answer that the Oratory Fathers are the friendliest, kindest and most genuine priests I have come to know. But this is not the normal kind of friendship which I may have with contemporaries, it is a priestly friendship. It has a divine origin which speaks of a friendship with Christ. I have not come to think of it like that before now, so I will try to explain. When I associate with the Fathers, I am aware that they have all the time in the world for me. They may be busy in the practical sense, but not in other ways; a presence in the confessional before every mass; their preserved role of distributing the blessed sacrament during holy communion; several daily masses; availability of spiritual direction; religious groups like the brothers of the little oratory; devotional services like benediction, adoration, processions, vigils.All these things speak strongly of the endless mercy of Christ present in spiritual formation and the sacraments, through the priest who is living his vocation of Alter Christus - Another Christ. I have also heard of diocesan priests envious of the number of priests (five) present at the Oratory to share their huge duty of missionary duties. Well, in the context of their history, five is actually very few (there is space for twenty!). The Oratory has a unique responsibility and duty when compared with the average parish, and this is not to sound arrogant; each priest at the Oratory works incredibly hard for the service of his parishioners and at the service of each other. Above this, they often serve a duty to the wider Church, of study and writing. The quality of the liturgy, historical work and the cause for the beatification of Cardinal Newman are all responsibilities which are undertaken.
  • The BuildingAs mentioned previously, there is a wealth of history and lay devotion, artwork and sculpture which is clearly visible at the Oratory. All of this intends to orientate the mind toward God, endowing us with means of devotions and opportunities towards sanctification.
  • The Parishioners As time has gone by, we have made more friends and important networks of support. This makes it harder for us to simply 'church hop' like we used to; we feel more settled and valued, with a special place to bring our daughter each week. Fellowship isn't nearly the most important part of going to church, but this is traditionally the place where the community comes together and develops relationships. This has been most conducive within separate parish communities (of which there are many: Brothers, Union of Catholic Mothers, Legion of Mary, Walsingham Association, Society of St Vincent de Paul, Lourdes Group).
  • The Liturgy The Eucharist is the "source and summit of Christian life" and therefore the most fitting and reverent celebration of it is my favourite thing (as I'm sure is clearly evident from the Blog). I don't want to argue about what is right and what is wrong, and therefore at the Oratory I can easily get on with my spiritual life and benefit from the sacraments without having occasions to sin by worrying what is going on, and becoming judgemental. The Liturgy is not banal, and equally it is not pretentious. Additionally I am learning more and more traditional devotions all the time: hymns sung at Benediction, antiphons to Our Lady, Latin ordinary of the Mass (to which Vatican II exhorts the people to know their parts - Sacrosanctum Concilium 54) This all helps us to practice our Faith in a productive, lively, and worthy way.
I hope these points will help others to see why the Oratory is so important in our lives, and why its worth travelling a distance for.

11 comments:

  1. I think the Fathers at the Oratory owe you: your best post yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to travel to the Oratory as do many from all over Birmingham, but God answered our prayers & we moved close by the Church & 2 wonderful Schools.

    i liked your post. The Oratory Fathers are wonderful..'Heroes' to my mind. i'd forgotten the high Mass last night, but went to devotions later. Alexander is able to be in charge of the thurifer..& Andrew..the boat as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post. Please pray for those of us that live in remoter regions of the UK (1 priest per 20 sq km). I feel somewhat starved of dignified liturgy and whilst I know my parish is important, and the Church is broad, I am struggling to find solace under the pastoral guidance of our new (to us) priest. He doesn't seem to share my enthusiasm for the writings of our Pope. He is a good man, but we are poles apart in our desired approach to the liturgy and sacraments.

    My husband says I am overreacting, but I know what my prayer life is craving for. Pray for those Catholics like me who are desperate for contemplative adoration of the Blessed Sacrament but do not have access to such a luxury (I maintain it shouldn't be a luxury). I fully understand why you feel at home at the Oratory and know the light of Christ will shine through you and your works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep...the world needs a lot more priests just like them. Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post - it reflects my situation.

    I attend the London Oratory, although I live outside London fortunately transport links are direct and I can be at the Oratory (London) within an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing Catholics travelling such distances...God bless you all..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thank God for the Oratories. I had to go to an ordinary parish church in Devon last week as I was on holiday.

    I left after experiencing a service devoid of any dignity.

    The Blessed Sacrament in the tabernacle was completely ignored.

    It was thought more important for parishioners to get to the echumenical Pentecostal service in the middle of town than to preach, so there was little reference to Pentecost itself.

    The priest thought it amusing to deliberately toss the hand towel (after the washing of hands before the consecration) on to the head of one of the child servers.

    Despite being a small congregation, extraordinary ministers of the eucharist were used and to cap it all, we had to plough our way through a banal 'song' at the end which went on for nine verses, one line changing each time.

    If this was my parish church, then I would be forced to join the ranks of the unattenders as for me, only the best for my God and Saviour will do.

    It seems to me that our English Oratories are the few places of worship which strive to serve God with dignity, and to treat their congregations as prayerful people who don't need to be entertained.

    I admit that I left the Devon service angry and wondering what on earth has happened to the Catholic Church whilst at the same time, thanking God for St. Philip Neri and his faithful sons who are true gifts to God's people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so lucky to have the Oratories. There is no reason why we shoul not be rising in sanctity, if we are exposed to the worship of our Oratories.

    God have mercy on our Bishops - because we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the solenmity of dedication is celebrated by each church in the archdiocese on this day in a special commemoration of the consecration of the Seminary CHurch at ST MARY'S COLLEGE, OSCOTT,when it was consecrated on the 29th May 1838, by i think Bishop Walsh. Augustus Welby Pugin was the Master of Ceremonies...


    one of the subsequent Ordinaries extended the dedication anniversary to each church and public oratory in the confines of the diocese.

    on a side note....we should pray for those in the seminary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meant to say Alex was thurifer! & holding the thurible..Andrew jr can do the same now.

    That post re the throwing of the towel onto one of the servers heads..how utterly awful! i would have had to leave at that point..& if it had been on one of my sons i fear i may have removed him from the altar during Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you ever imagine Dom Andrew Southwell chucking towels around?!
    We have lots and lots of fun at St. Bede's, Clapham... just don't come around when it's April Fool's!

    ReplyDelete