Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Anglicans of Walsingham

I was just reflecting on my last post about Walsingham, and was concerned that my closing words regarding Anglicanism in that part of the world was a bit harsh. I have a great deal of respect for so called 'anglo-catholics' and think they are very interesting and devout people. The situation in and around Walsingham is quite unique, and it seems there are many being led to the Catholic Faith in this way.

Through the prayers and pilgrimages of Anglicans to this place, I hope that Our Lady will answer their desire for unity with the Church by prompting them in the correct way. Our Lady promised, back in 1061;
All who are in any way distressed or in need, let them seek me there in that little house you have made at Walsingham. To all that seek me there shall be given succour. And there at Walsingham in this little house shall be held in remembrance the great joy of my 'salutation' when St. Gabriel told me that I should through humility become the Mother of God's Son.
The building of the Anglican shrine is itself a living act of reparation; embedded in the walls of a reconstructed Holy House are stones from most of the major monastic houses destroyed during the reformation.

Perhaps this call for a renewal of devotion to Our Lady, and a better understanding of her role in our Redemption, will lead them into the unity of the Catholic Faith, available to all life's Pilgrims.

O Mary, recall the solemn moment when Jesus, your divine Son, dying on the Cross, confided us to your maternal care. You are our Mother, we desire ever to remain your devout children. Let us therefore feel the effects of your powerful intercession with Jesus Christ. Make your name again glorious in this place once renowned throughout our land by your visits, favours and many miracles. Pray, O holy mother of God for the conversion of England, restoration of the sick, consolation for the afflicted, repentance of sinners, peace to the departed. O blessed Mary, Mother of God, Our Lady of Walsingham, intercede for us. Amen.
O Lord God, Word Incarnate, Jesus of Nazareth, have mercy on us.
(from the Pilgrim Manual of the Anglican Shrine)

1 comment:

  1. Matt,
    Thanks for your humility in correcting yourself re: the Anglican Shrine at Walsingham. Certainly speaking from my own experience, Walsingham played a significant part in my own journey to the Catholic Church, I needed its Anglo-Catholic experience as a route from protestant to Catholic. Indeed I still sometimes wish that the Catholic shrine was a bit more Catholic...like the Anglican one...

    ReplyDelete