Monday, July 23, 2007

The Father's Love


This Blog would not be complete without an emerging impression of fatherhood upon my life. The most important thing to note with my own capacity for this, is that that I never had a father myself when I was growing up. At the age of one, my mother was forced to leave her marriage, deciding that we were better without him. I am, of course, willing to accept this. It is part of who I am. But upon the realisation that I was going to become a father myself, I couldn't help feeling a little anxious about how I would know what to do! Perhaps this is normal for all fathers, but in my case I was lacking any previous experience of being 'fathered'.

On the positive side, at least this meant I was unburdened by a poor or unhealthy fatherly role-model. I am able to start from scratch, as it were. A natural spiritual source of support is my knowledge of God as Father of humanity, and my own personal source of heavenly grace which I know He will provide. Moreover, I seek the special intercession of St Joseph, foster father of Our Lord Jesus Christ, who knows exactly what I need for this important role. After all, God Himself chose St Joseph to be His own comforter and source of family authority. So I am compelled to follow his example and inspiration.

I am also getting good example from other fathers I meet, principally through Church. I am further inspired by an excellent book I'm reading at the moment, and which my mother-in-law bought for my birthday; Father, The Family Protector by James Stenson. I could quote numerous things from this author, who was a successful headmaster (like my own father!), but will draw out this which I found exceptional:
If history has taught us anything, it is the astonishing resilience of human nature and the power of family love. People of passionate love and principled convictions can endure any hardship and surmount any obstacle. Nobody needs to be a victim of his past. Love endows power and direction to life and makes anything possible. Any normal man holding his child in his arms can find the strength to become a great father and a great man.
I am comforted in this task by the ways in which our Faith teaches us about true Fatherhood, as a model of God the Father's love for us. A good biblical summation of these promises is found in the CaFE series, which I have copied down and can remind myself of:
My child – you may not know me, but I know everything about you.1 I know when you sit down and when you rise up.2 I am familiar with all your ways.3 Even the very hairs of your head are numbered4 for you were made in my image.5
In me you live, and move, and have your being, for you are my offspring.6 I knew you even before you were conceived.7 I chose you when I planned creation.8 You were not a mistake, for all your days are written in my book.9 I determined the exact time of your birth, and where you would live.10 You are fearfully and wonderfully made.11 I knit you together in your mother’s womb12 and brought you forth on the day you were born.13
I have been misrepresented by those who don’t know me.14 I am not distant and angry, but am the complete expression of love,15 and it is my desire to lavish my love on you, simply because you are my child and I am your Father.16 I offer you more than your earthly father ever could,17 for I am the Perfect Father.18
Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand19 for I am your provider and I meet all your needs.20 My plan for your future has always been filled with hope21 because I love you with an everlasting love.22 My thoughts towards you are countless as the sand on the seashore,23 and I rejoice over you with singing,24 and I will never stop doing good to you25 for you are my treasured possession.26
I desire to establish you with all my heart and all my soul,27 and I want to show you great and marvellous things.28 If you seek me with all your heart you will find me.29 Delight in me and I will give you the desires of your heart30 for it is I who gave you those desires.31 I am able to do more for you than you can possibly imagine32 for I am the greatest encourager.33
I am also the Father who comforts you in all your troubles.34 When you are broken hearted, I am close to you.35 As a shepherd carries a lamb, I have carried you close to my heart.36 One day I will wipe away every tear from your eye, and I will take away all the pain you have suffered on this earth.37
I am your Father and love you even as I have loved my Son Jesus.38 For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed.39 He is the exact representation of my being40 as He came to demonstrate that I am for you41 and to tell you that I’m not counting your sins. Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled.42 His death was the ultimate expression of my love for you.43 I gave up everything I loved that I might gain your love.44 If you receive the gift of my Son Jesus, you receive me,45 and nothing will ever separate you from my love again.46
Come home, and I will throw the biggest party heaven has ever seen.47 I have always been Father48 and will always be Father.49 My question is, will you be my child?50
1. Psalm 139:1 2. Psalm 139:2 3. Psalm 139:3 4. Matthew 10:29-31 5. Genesis 1:27 6. Acts 17:28 7. Jeremiah 1:4-5 8. Ephesians 1:11-12 9. Psalm 139:15-16 10. Acts 17:26 11. Psalm 139:14 12. Psalm 139:13 13. Psalm 71:6 14. John 8:41-44 15. 1 John 4:16 16. 1 John 3:1 17. Matthew 7:11 18. Matthew 5:48 19. James 1:17 20. Matthew 6:31-33 21. Jeremiah 29:11 22. Jeremiah 31:3 23. Psalm 139:17-18 24. Zephaniah 3:17 25. Jeremiah 32:40 26. Exodus 19:5 27. Jeremiah 32:41 28. Jeremiah 33:3 29. Deuteronomy 4:29 30. Psalm 37:4 31. Phillipians 2:13 32. Ephesians 3:20 33. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 34. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 35. Psalm 34:18 36. Isaiah 40:11 37. Revelation 21:4 38. John 17:23 39. John 17:26 40. Hebrews 1:3 41. Romans 8:31 42. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19 43. 1 John 4:10 44. Romans 8:32 45. 1 John 2:23 46. Romans 8:38-39 47. Luke 15:7 48. Ephesians 3:14-15 49. John 1:12-13 50. Luke 15:11-32

2 comments:

  1. Liked your reflection. sadly many of us have 'good-enough' fathers with addictions such as alcoholism. s i reach middle age these problems loom larger than they seemed to in childhood. What i've come to accept is 'forgiveness' & 'acceptance'. Andrew, my husband embodies all that was lacking in my childhood..things such as being nappy-changer, baby-feeder,chef, & 24 hour availability. My friends say they've never seen anyone like Andrew & to date neither have i. i pray Matt that you have the same resilience & total dedication to your own family..indeed i see that you already have...& know it will grow with each new baby & each new challenge. God is never outdone in generosity & will always bless you abundantly.

    St John Bosco's father died when he was 4 & his mother told him 'you have no father'. Some would say that was bad psychology but he went on to be father to hundreds of boys. Good can come from bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a most excellent little book. I carry it with me always as it is a constant help for me in the governance and guidance of my six (so far!) children.

    ReplyDelete