Friday, January 26, 2007

First Pictures of Madeleine

Here is the first picture of Madeleine after a successful birth in the early hours of this morning. 

It was quite a crazy evening which culminated in a quick and relatively straight-forward birth (although there were a few hair-raising moments and doctors rushing in etc).


Weighing in at 3.16kg (6lb 15oz)!!

The main complication was a retained placenta, which required intravenous oxytocin and eventually a manual evacuation under spinal anaesthesia (ie. Wendy was awake but we were separated for a short time). During this period I had the opportunity to really bond with Maddy; with 'Kangaroo Care' (or skin-to-skin contact) and lots of singing (including Salve Regina, Ave Maria and Adoremus in Aeternum/psalm 116!). This really settled her because she remembered my singing during her stay in the womb.

Kangaroo care is the best way to promote bonding with the newborn. It helps to regulate the baby's heartbeat and breathing, and has many proven benefits. It is used in many premature babies, but is still great for a full term baby like Maddy. And let me tell you, it is the most AMAZING thing in the whole world! I only wish words could express the fantastic bond of supreme love which was so tangible at this moment.

Now I need to get some more sleep so that I can help Mum and Maddy in the days ahead. I have had to come home while Wendy is getting well looked after by the midwives and nurses on the post-labour ward. Thank you everyone for your prayers - I am sure they have helped with a speedy labour (once induction worked!!) and healthy baby and mother.

DEO GRATIAS

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Maddy is beautiful! Thank God for the safe delivery.. may His grace be with all of you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Matt and Wendy. Isn't Life great! I look forward to seeing all of you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. many many congratulations to the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely delighted for you both.I will keep you all in my prayers.
    DEO GRATIAS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Matt! What a great joy. The suspense was killing me, and many others out there in the blogosphere too.

    Know that Wendy, Maddy and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    I'd better break the good news to our Charismatic Prayer Group[thats right, Charismatic Prayer Group. I've left no stone unturned =)] and the Divine Mercy and Marian Devotion Groups who have been fervently praying for you =)
    They have been bugging me daily for an update.

    I pray that God may look with kindness and mercy upon Maddy, and give her the grace to always walk in His ways and to follow his precepts. May He also strengthen you and Wendy in this time of great joy and sustain you as you embark on the great adventure of parenthood.

    God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a great day to be born for young madeleine Jane

    god's choicest blessings come down upon you and may the Holy Family of Nazareth be your model and your intercessors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful family you are!!! Thank you for allowing your extended family to share in this wonderful event. God bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, Matt. Congratulations to you and Wendy. Lots of prayers for you over at my blog - thanks for giving us all the chance to join you spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to the both of you! I will remember you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May God bless your beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations
    Every blessing to the three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!!

    May God's blessings be upon your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations and blessings to the three of you! And thanks for keeping up the blogging, despite having far more important things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful baby, congratulaions and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She's beautiful! God bless your little family :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have said an Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be in thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so super happy for you! THANK GOD the birth went well!
    I prayed for Wendy all of Wednesday & Thursday! (I wasn't able to post any comments though, sorry)

    Yey! What great news that Maddy is here safe & sound!

    God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratualations and blessings on your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATULATIONS!

    Don't forget to post pictures of her baptism ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! We've been praying for you at the y2k/ xt3 office, I'm delighted to see your beautful daughter! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ditto what everyone else says.

    ReplyDelete