Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Damian Paul Coghlan 1977-1997


I have just had a wonderful conversation with Fr. Leo Chamberlain OSB, Master of St. Benet's Hall at Oxford University. The reason was to explain that Damian, my late brother, couldn't come to the invited 110th anniversary dinner because he unfortunately died whilst at University. Their records did not have a note of this, so he was glad to hear from me.

Damian was educated by the Rosminians (Institute of Charity) from the age of 8 till 18; first at Grace Dieu Manor preparatory school, and then Ratcliffe College (where I shared my formative years). He attended Oxford University in the last couple of years of his life: 1995-1997 (during Dom Henry Wansbrough's time), and read Philosophy and Theology. He struggled his whole life with a congenital heart defect, and suffered considerably in his last few years with Eisenmenger's syndrome. Unfortunately Our Lord took him before he was able to complete his degree, but I am so very pleased he had the experience of St. Benet's Hall, even if he didn't regularly take advantage of their beautiful Gregorian Chant Liturgy!

This year it is coming up to the 10th Anniversary of Damian's death. For this occasion I am using my rosary making skills to construct a full size 15 decade rosary, with a commemorative plaque, which I hope to adorn somewhere appropriate (ideally a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary somewhere in Oxford). It would also be a wonderful occasion to offer up prayers afresh, of petition and thanksgiving. For the latter, I thought it would be most appropriate to compile a book of photos and testimonies from different people who knew him. If, by chance, you are reading this and knew him, please do get in touch and contribute to what I hope will be a fitting tribute to a wonderful and brave young man.

9 comments:

  1. Will raise up his soul when I lead the devotion to the Divine Mercy this Friday and the Novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour this Saturday in Church.

    Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord.

    And may perpetual light shine upon him.

    May his soul rest in peace.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it be okay if I added him to http://grant-them-rest.blogspot.com ? Please let me know...

    I pray for the repose of your brother's soul.

    +JMJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pray for him, and for you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember meeting your brother on my frequent visits to St Benet's - I was at Exeter College, Oxford 1994-97. I shall certainly remember him in my prayers and at the altar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee, that would be wonderful. It would be great to add Damian to your blog - you can copy my whole post in if you'd like. Email me if you need the code. I just checked out your blog(s) and will link to them when I have more time...

    Fr. Nicholas, perhaps you could email me if you remember anything else about Damian - first impressions, conversations, anything! I'd really appreciate hearing more!

    Thanks everyone for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will do Matt, (and if you would like me to edit it at any time just let me know!)



    Temous fugit, mememnto mori.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt, Damian's in my prayers.

    I lost my brother when I was small, but I never knew him (too young).

    Requiem aeternam dona ei Domine. Et lux perpetua luceat ei.

    ReplyDelete