Monday, February 19, 2007

To Receive Communion

The following has to be the best photograph I've ever seen. It almost had me in tears to see the moment at which my beautiful wife, cradling my precious daughter, receives the Blessed Sacrament: the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Such a moment is indescribable. Indeed, it is the culmination of what it means to be Christian; the source and summit of our life in Christ. A taste of that Heavenly banquet. A glimpse through time to be present at Calvary at the moment of Christ's Sacrifice on the Cross, and furthermore to taste the glory of His resurrection. How can all this be happening on the face of such a simple species; mere bread and wine? That is the mystery which we enter into every Mass, and what we strive to feel and understand deeper as the Sacrament confers Grace upon our hearts.

I give myself to God. Here is my body. Take it. Here is my blood. Take it. Here is my soul, my will, my energy, my strength, my property, my wealth – all that I have. It is Yours. Take it! Consecrate it! Offer it! Offer it with Thyself to the heavenly Father in order that He, looking down on this great Sacrifice [of the Mass], may see only Thee, His beloved Son, in Whom He is well pleased. Transmute the poor bread of my life into Thy Divine Life; thrill the wine of my wasted life into Thy Divine Spirit; unite my broken heart with Thy Heart; change my cross into a crucifix.

Let not my abandonment and my sorrow and my bereavement go to waste. Gather up the fragments, and as the drop of water is absorbed by the wine at the Offertory of the Mass, let my life be absorbed in Thine; let my little cross be entwined with Thy great Cross so that I may purchase the joys of everlasting happiness in union with Thee.

Consecrate these trials of my life which would go unrewarded unless united with Thee; transubstantiate me so that like bread which is now Thy Body, and wine which is now Thy Blood, I too may be wholly Thine. I care not if the species remain, or that, like the bread and the wine I seem to all earthly eyes the same as before. My station in life, my routine duties, my work, my family- all these are but the species of my life which may remain unchanged; but the substance of my life, my soul, my mind, my will, my heart- transubstantiate them, transform them wholly into Thy service, so that through me all may know how sweet is the love of Christ. Amen.

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Calvary and the Mass
P. J. Kenedy & Sons: New York, 1936

Photo courtesy of Mr. Peter Gosling, taken on the occasion of Madeleine's Baptism, and copyright to him.

5 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful picture Matt - filled with layers of meaning.

    I noticed at Mass this week that most of the few folk taking communion on the tongue were holding small children. Only when we have children of our own like this do we get the opportunity to receive the Lord as we should, like a little child (that's those of us who don't have the Old Rite 'on tap')

    Enjoy every moment of fatherhood, Matt. Boy does it go quickly!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful reflection Matt. I'm glad you've discovered Fulton Sheen.

    When people talk of vocation, they often only mean the priesthood or religious life. It is people like you and your wonderful family that reminds us that vocation to the married state is also such an important aspect of life in the Church, living in fidelity to God's will and His laws.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy looks very beautfiul there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Only 40 days...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mr Doyle,
    First time here at your blog (through the link of the gentleman above...) and am delighted to discover the ponderings of a young father.

    At the foot of the Cross, there was also a Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary. She is forever the Mother of the Christ, and by order of Our Crucified Lord, she is also the Mother of all faithful, who, like St John, attend the Supreme Sacrifice of Calvary.
    This image is almost a symbol of our Christian inner life: resting peacefully in the arms Our Lady and all graces of Our Lord come to us through Her.

    De Maria, numquam satis.
    a reader from Taipei, Taiwan

    ReplyDelete