Monday, June 07, 2010

Contented Parenting

This article in the Times demonstates something beautiful about parenting. It is not written by a Catholic Dad, as far as I know, but it advocates a type of natural, relaxed, and down-to-earth parenting which I can largely identify with, but also which I see prevalent in Catholic Homeschooling Families. I think it demonstrates some practical sequelae of being happy with the way parenting changes a couple, and embracing being a new Dad rather than pining after the 'good ol days'!

Here's an extract:
I have a quiet little bet with myself. A hundred years from now, people will look back on us the way we look back on the Victorians and many will find it astonishing that we treated children the way we do. The more extreme parenting strategies appear to deny the fact that we’re parents at all. The aim is to get back to our normal, child-free lifestyles as soon as possible.
Do have a quick read; you may not identify with everything outlined in the article, but it stimulates ideas and makes me realise how much we have in common with hippy-guru parents! Being parents as God intended us to be.

1 comment:

  1. awesome article, thanks for sharing! I loved it (and agreed with it!)! SO great to read something like that.

    I too cant stand the 'know-it-all' tones in some of the modern baby books, which go against common sense and loving parental instinct but are driven by a (selfish) desire for easy convenient parenting.

    ReplyDelete