Monday, May 25, 2009

Busy Bank Holiday


It is wonderful to be busy with family rather than work. The weather was perfect for a barbeque yesterday, with wine and beer on tap. Much fun was had by all (in a very restrained civilised way of course). Today we have enjoyed the beautiful sun by taking a bike ride along Birmingham and Black Country's idyllic canals. We came across Galton Bridge, built in 1829 by Thomas Telford, which is an excellent example of Victorian industrial architecture. It spans two railway lines and one canal, and at 151 feet (46 metres) it had the highest span of its day.

Of main interest is Brutus doing his E.T. impression (top). As you can see, it is impressive how many life-forms you can legitimately fit on a conventional push-bike. It would have been nice to have flown over Galton Bridge, but perhaps a little ambitious. Is there anyone else that sees Jesus parallels in the film E.T.? Glowing heart, death, resurrection, ascension, etc?? Constantly 'phoning home'?

I was also honoured with the charge of taking photos of Cardinal John Foley's visit to the Oratory this morning, after serving a Low Mass. Tonight I will be snapping away at Vespers, and then tomorrow for the High Mass of St Philip Neri. I hope to serve EF Low Mass in the morning at 8.30am for his feast as well. I feel all this is like spiritual refuelling after the most brutal and stressful few months I can remember... Things are of course looking up. I have my Psychiatry training post secured for the West Midlands in August; LMS and Guild of Catholic Doctors events to work on; and Wendy is also 'working on' a very special project, which involves not drinking alcohol for 9 months. Keep up to date with the banner at the top!

5 comments:

  1. You sound as though you've had a wonderful weekend. Congrats to you both on the 'new project'!I'll keep track on the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw! Brutus is SO SMALL!!!!!!!

    Congrats again on the new arrival!

    Will pray for him/her to Our Lady of Childbirth!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! I´m extremely slow to cotton on to the little bar at the top as I haven´t had the chance to check blogs for a while. But....CONGRATULATIONS to you both!!!!
    Little lives amaze me so much (it must the biology career in the blood!). I checked the blog tonight thinking that there might indeed be something along these lines on the way...absolutely no idea WHY that idea was in my head..probably becasue of your lovely pro life post recently.
    Be assured of my prayers for you all and most especially for God´s little present to you both! ... only one word sums it up; WOWIE!!!
    God Bless you all!
    M.M

    ReplyDelete