Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Ethics Essay

When I was in my first year at medical school, being drip-fed Beauchamp and Childress' principles of biomedical ethics, I confess to have missed the excitement in healthcare ethics. In recent years I have come to hold it in high esteem, and benefited immensely from the recent Linacre Conference.

This is all just as well, since it is a core competence of Foundation Trainees (junior doctors) to consider these issues. I was determined to show a degree of aptitude, and so I wrote an essay for a competition run by the Institute of Medical Ethics. The title was based on the well known maxim Primum non nocere (First do no harm) and went on to recommend Virtue Ethics in the practice of medicine.

Alas, I did not win a prize. But at least I can be proud of my work, and will now welcome any comments. I have published it over at the Catholic Physicians Blog (click on the title of this post for a direct link to my essay).

No comments:

Post a Comment