Friday, September 21, 2007

St Matthew, Apostle & Evangelist

Os justi meditábitur sapiéntiam, et lingua ejus loquétur judícium: lex Dei ejus in corde ipsíus. Noli aemulári in malignántibus: neque zeláveris faciéntes iniquitátem.

The mouth of the just shall meditate wisdom, and his tongue shall speak judgment: the law of his God is in his heart. Be not emulous of evil doers: nor envy them that work iniquity.

Today is the feast day of my Patron Saint Matthew, the author of the inspired first Gospel. By contrast, I'm not doing anything special! If I'm lucky I may make it to Mass! But it's nice to reflect upon today's Gospel, which speaks to me in so many ways:
At that time, Jesus saw a man sitting in the custom house, named Matthew; and he saith to him: Follow me. And he rose up and followed him. And it came to pass as he was sitting at meat in the house, behold many publicans and sinners came, and sat down with Jesus and his disciples. And the Pharisees seeing it, said to his disciples: Why doth your master eat with publicans and sinners? But Jesus hearing it, said: They that are in health need not a physician, but they that are ill. Go then and learn what this meaneth, I will have mercy and not sacrifice. For I am not come to call the just, but sinners.
(Matthew 9:9-13)

As a physician myself, I must remember that the true physician is surely Christ, who alone has the power to heal souls, as he did with Matthew.

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God; Have mercy on me, a sinner"

6 comments:

  1. Happy Feast Dr Doyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Feast Day Matt, even though I'm half an hour late

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt -- Belated best wishes on your feast day!! And, I am wondering if you have any news from Master Joee?? It seems like his retreat should have ended by now. Did he, perhaps, decide to remain permanently???

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stained glass window, some readers may be interested to know, is a feature of Worcester's Anglican Cathedral, and was donated by the British Medical Association (BMA).

    ReplyDelete