Monday, December 18, 2006

Wonderful Parish!

For Gaudate Sunday we ventured into Staffordshire to be at a Baptism of some friends who have recently had their first child. I have always despaired at the average parish church I have visited whilst away, on holiday for instance. But there are always exceptions, with so much depending on what the priest is like. Today Wendy and I had the pleasure of visiting Our Lady of Lourdes in Hednesford. I like Staffordshire, and have often thought it would be a nice county to live, as I realised in October when we visited Cheadle.

The Parish priest there is Father Gregory Hogan, whom I had a lovely chat with. I tend to make a point of giving my verbal support to priests I come across who celebrate the Mass properly, since they are often subject to criticism from liberal parishioners. I won't convey what we spoke about, some of it could well have been "off the record", but I was certainly impressed with his bravery and motivation at such a young age (34 I think); It was one of very few churches I've been to where communicants knelt at a communion rail; servers employed communion plates; rose vestments on Gaudate Sunday; even sung Latin Sanctus and Agnus Dei ! It was certainly a very eye-opening experience. I believe Fr. Gregory is involved in the Faith Movement. I must say that if the sort of devotion I see in him and Fr. Tim Finigan is indicative of the quality of the Faith Movement, then I would certainly like to know more!

So anyway, It was great to see some friends, now with babies, and exciting to think they may all be little play buddies one day. It is so important to have good Catholic families giving each other support. I will post more on this later, I'm sure. My prayers go out to our friends with their new baby boy. I would just love to share a picture with you of the gorgeous family, but haven't sought their permission, so will restrain myself!

Almighty, everlasting God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, look graciously down upon this Thy servant, whom Thou hast graciously called unto the beginnings of the faith; drive out from him all blindness of heart; break all the toils of Satan wherewith he was held: open unto him, O Lord, the gate of Thy loving kindness, that, being impressed with the sign of Thy wisdom, he may be free from the foulness of all wicked desires, and in the sweet odour of Thy precepts may joyfully serve Thee in Thy Church, and grow in grace from day to day. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment