Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Pope-on-a-Soap-on-a-Rope!

This is a funny little item adorning our bathroom. We bought it from a recent production of Romeo and Juliet by Heartbreak Productions. There was a three-way stage in the outdoor setting of the ruined nave of Much Wenlock priory in Shropshire, with an emphasis on 3 themes: Love, Religion, and Football (It was a modernisation, and used the visual aid of rival football shirts for the rival houses)! Hasten to say we don't actually use the soap: and its not usually in that position. The thought of rubbing the Pope's face over my... well, you know... is a little bit much I'm sure you'll agree. Perhaps it would be a good flagellation aid.

So, on sale from the Religion stall was the above item, as well as a mug with the same picture (obviously of the then-Cardinal Ratzinger) and the quote "The god of my idolatry" from one of Romeo's lines. Which we bought as well. I find it funny, but some may not share my sense of humour (as the last post's comment shows).

To wrap it off nice and civil, here is a beautiful picture of Much Wenlock Priory.

5 comments:

  1. Can't think what got into you, Matt. If you laugh at the Holy Father, you laugh at Jesus Christ.
    If I were you I'd bin it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who said anything about laughing at the holy father? I must admit, I often laugh at dodgy masses being said by trendy priests - and they are in persona christi - which is far more widely relevant. Yes, I'm a sinner. And perhaps my ironic sense of humour offend some and count against my soul. I shall ask my spiritual director. Thank you for your comments grigor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could never do that. If the Pope's pic were in my bathroom, I'd probably bathe in my cassock and surplice.

    I'd feel too uncomfortable with him looking at me bits if you know what I mean... =))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, don't beleive the tosh - this isn't a poic of Much Wenlock Priory - it's a pic of the ruin of what was Much Wenlock Priory. Fr R

    ReplyDelete
  5. This "gag" item is right up there with something I saw at a "conservative" Catholic gift shop recently: a throw/blanket with an image of the Virgin Mary on it. Sacred images should be respected, not turned into blankets that we cover ourselves with when watching tv, or which end up on the floor, under the dog, or in the dirty laundry. Have even seen sacred images on coffee mugs and place mats. It trivializes them, turns them into kitsch adornment, when they are windows to spiritual realities.

    Orthodox Christians in my experience treat sacred images with respect. Even those found in magazines and catalogues are clipped and reverently burned or buried.

    ReplyDelete